FreeWorld is seeking a design-focused, creative, and mission-oriented UX Designer that is interested in moving into a Product Manager role. This is a dual role that will require you to create UX designs and manage product development. The UX Designer will report to the CEO and is an entrepreneurial team member who will serve as a thought partner to help implement the Founder/CEO’s vision and strategy.
The UX Designer will come with a design-focused background and is interested in moving into a management position. This person deeply understands our users, will respect the design choices that have already been made, and will continuously learn from user behavior to create world-class technology that is intuitive for the people that we serve. This person will work in coordination with our engineering team to conduct Quality Assurance (QA) tests on new technology that is being developed before it is launched into production.
The UX Designer supports the CEO to understand our long-term vision and create a technical roadmap that the engineering team will follow. The UX Designer is a great listener, can take complex ideas and break them down into realistic milestones, and will measure performance. You are passionate about our mission at FreeWorld and understand the outsized and life-changing impact that your work will have to support our student’s success.
To end the era of mass incarceration and generational poverty by:
- Placing returning citizens into high-wage careers at scale.
- Developing a self-sustaining revenue model to accelerate our growth. Today, we are using income share agreements.
- Creating systemic change by leveraging our incredibly deep layers of graduate data in partnership with the Criminal Justice System to become the Gold Standard for re-entry.
What you’ll do:
- We currently use Figma to create all of our tech mockups. You will review what’s already done, understand our design language and methodology, and build strong relationships with our engineering team.
- You will review our task list in Asana to get a better understanding of what we’re currently working on and what designs we have in our backlog.
- You will work with the CEO to understand what our vision is and translate that into a technical roadmap, which you will break down into quarterly milestones for our engineering team.
- You will collect business requirements, establish key performance metrics, craft the user experience, drive execution, and report on the impact.
- You will create wireframes, prototypes, and high-fidelity mock-ups
- You will organize our sprint deployments in coordination with the engineering team, communicate and assign responsibilities to the rest of the team to perform QA, and hold us accountable.
- You will meticulously document changes to our platform into a playbook so that the team has a historical perspective as well as a rationale for decisions that we’ve made.
- You will work closely with our users to understand how they interact with our technology and what UI/UX or additional features need to be deployed.
- Devise and own growth hacks focused on increasing user adoption, engagement, and expansion.
- Test and iterate through data-driven experiments to inform and improve the journey, campaign, and content strategies.
- Own the tech funnel from first login all the way through student permitting, wrap-around services, and post-graduation success.
What you’ll have:
- 3+ years experience implementing design principles and using UX design tools (Figma preferred)
- Growth mindset towards Product Management
- Experience with graphic design tools such as Adobe Photoshop, Affinity or Canva
- Experience with user testing and usability analysis
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Ability to communicate vision and streamline execution across different internal and external teams
- Strong product and business sense
- Ability to drive strategic decisions
- Data-driven thinking with experience in data analytics tools
- Experience working at a high-growth nonprofit or tech startup
- Experience taking a product from 0 to 1
- Experience working with returning citizens
- Engineering or technical experience (preferred)
- Deep passion for second chances and fighting injustice
- A criminal record (preferred, but not required)
Where you’ll work
FreeWorld is a 100% remote company.
Board of Directors
- Read our FreeWorld Culture FAQ if you still think you are a fit…
- Submit an application and cover letter. If your qualifications are a match…
- We have a 15-minute introductory call. If we love each other, then…
- You complete a brief task related to the role (such as submitting a work sample).
- You meet with a few additional members of the team for a full interview.
- We agree on terms, pending references. I talk to a few of the folks that you worked with.
Compensation and Benefits
The compensation for this position is based on experience, but we are targeting $90k - $110k.
- Remote work flexibility
- Health insurance, dental, and vision coverage
- 4 weeks of vacation
- Fun, fast-paced environment
- Creating tremendous impact at scale