Online CDL A Theory Instructor
We’re seeking a talented Online CDL A Theory Instructor who thrives in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and has a strong training and development background to help drive the creation of course content to educate our students to earn their CDL A license. Per FMCSA regulation, the candidate is required to have a CDL A license, and a minimum of two years experience driving a CMV or as a BTW CMV instructor. You’ll be responsible for analyzing, designing, teaching, and developing high quality training content that can be deployed at scale, nationally.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about the growth and success of FreeWorld. Candidates will have experience in designing, developing, implementing, and managing a wide range of training and development solutions.
As a potential candidate, you are a teacher at your core. You are driven by the desire to see a student succeed and want to play an integral role in success. You are a big believer in second chances and understand that the curriculum you are teaching is helping to create generational change. As a teacher you are creative and have lots of ideas to keep students engaged as you teach, especially in a remote environment.
To end the era of mass incarceration and generational poverty by:
- Placing returning citizens into high wage careers at scale.
- Developing a self-sustaining revenue model to accelerate our growth. Today, we are using income share agreements.
- Creating systemic change by leveraging our incredibly deep layers of graduate data in partnership with the Criminal Justice System to become the Gold Standard for re-entry.
What you’ll do:
- Lead instruction over Zoom with our students and track their learning progress.
- Actively contribute to and improve upon the existing curriculum in conjunction with the Executive team.
- Expect to teach courses 3-4 times a day. We focus on General Knowledge, Combination, Air Brakes, and Texas Special Requirements test, but you should also be familiar with teaching Doubles/Triples, Tanker, and Hazmat courses as well.
- You will be the main point of contact for all educational questions from our students
- Keep track of each student's progress through every class. Make sure each student is well prepared and motivated to get their CDL A permit.
- Work closely with students and mentors to monitor overall student participation and performance
- Work closely with our Chief of Staff and Success Coach to ensure our students are getting the support they need to succeed.
- Treat our students with respect.
- Report all progress through the FMCSA’s Training Provider Registry website.
What you’ll have:
- 2 years of CDL A verifiable experience (preferred if you have all endorsements).
- Prior experience building curriculum.
- Excellent project/program management and organization skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to effectively communicate with people with criminal histories.
- Ability to navigate the basic technology systems required for online learning and project management. Examples of current applications used to conduct the program are Zoom, Slack, Asana, Calendly and Google Suite.
- Have patience and empathy for students that may have learning disabilities or challenges with understanding technology.
- Have patience and the discipline to answer the same questions asked over and over by the same person or multiple people.
- A deep desire to help students learn even when the curriculum may be repetitive.
- Ability to manage ambiguous projects, identify and solve blockers, and know when to escalate to keep the project moving forward.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals.
- Self-starting with the ability to effectively work autonomously with little oversight.
- Intelligent, dedicated, flexible with a willingness to experiment.
- A criminal record (not required, but preferred).
- Experience working with high risk populations.
Where you’ll work
FreeWorld is a 100% remote company.
Board of Directors
- We have a 15 minute introductory call. If we love each other, then…
- You read all of this documentation and sleep on it. If in the morning, you are still super-excited then…
- You write up a 1-page version of an Issue / Proposed Solution about a real issue in your life. To understand how it works, please read Decision-Making (8min).
- You talk to other members of the team.
- We talk again to go through your background for me to know who you worked with.
- We agree on terms, pending references. I talk to a few of the folks that you worked with.
- We start working together on a 30-day contract. If we both think it’s a fit, this moves to a full time role.
Compensation and Benefits
The compensation for this position is based on experience, but we are targeting $40k - $50k.
- Remote work flexibility
- Health insurance, dental, and vision coverage
- Unlimited PTO
- Fun, fast paced environment
- Creating tremendous impact at scale