Head of Engineering
FreeWorld is seeking a creative, self-driven, vision-oriented Head of Engineering to lead, develop, and grow the FreeWorld engineering team and technology.
This role will require both the management of the engineering team as well as a hands-on coding as the team is developed. You will report directly to the FreeWorld CEO and will work alongside our first in-house engineering hire as well as our contracted software development team that built and maintains our existing technology. Once we have a foundation in place, you will play a critical role in identifying additional key hires to build out our technology team.
FreeWorld aims to create the most comprehensive, automated, end-to-end online reentry solution to ensure that returning citizens have a fighting chance to live a fulfilling life, prison free.
To end the era of mass incarceration and generational poverty by:
- Placing returning citizens into high wage careers at scale.
- Developing a self-sustaining revenue model to accelerate our growth. Today, we are using income share agreements.
- Creating systemic change by leveraging our incredibly deep layers of graduate data in partnership with the Criminal Justice System to become the Gold Standard for re-entry.
What you’ll do
- Manage in-house and contracted engineering teams
- Team management including but not limited to: hiring, firing, performance reviews, team one-on-ones, technical direction, and training/development
- Own and manage the overall architectural decisions for the FreeWorld technology
- Develop standards and processes to maintain high-levels of code quality while minimizing technical debt
- Work alongside a Product Owner and Scrum Master (eventually) in a Scrum Agile process
- Provide feedback and ideas on the strategic direction of the FreeWorld technology to the executive team
- Manage and oversee DevOps for FreeWorld
- Backend software development in Node
- Frontend software development React
- Perform code reviews
- Be an active contributor and collaborator in our agile team environment
- Design and maintain an analytics warehouse
- Design and build systems with automated instrumentation and monitoring
- Ensure systems are secure, and user information is protected
- Consistently improve maintainability and stability of the codebase
- Write clean and well-documented code that is built for performance and scalability
- Share knowledge and continuously improve team skills output
- Significant experience with Database design (MySQL, Postgres, Airtable)
- Significant experience with Docker, or some equivalent
- Significant experience designing REST APIs, or the equivalent with GraphQL
- Significant experience using Git, Git Flow and CI
- Significant experience with using cloud providers such as DigitalOcean, AWS, etc
- Prior experience as a Senior or Lead engineer, or Director, strongly preferred
- Portfolio of past web application development projects
- Translating business requirements into technology requirements
- Ability to size and scope technology requirements
- Experience working in an agile/scrum environment
- (Optional) Experience with design and development of data warehouses
- (Optional) Formerly incarcerated candidates are strongly preferred but not a requirement
Where you’ll work
FreeWorld is a 100% remote company.
- Positively contribute to team velocity in the scrum agile process
- Clean and well-tested code that leads to a reduction in bugs per release in scrum agile process
- Focus on efficiency. Think: Amazon-level leanness
- Hustle and grit
Board of Directors
Matt Mochary - Serial entrepreneur, VC, social entrepreneur, CEO coach
Jason Green - Founder - Emergence Capital, Endeavor, Kauffman Fellows
Andy Bromberg - Co-Founder and President - CoinList
Jason Wang - Founder/CEO - FreeWorld
The compensation for this position is based on experience, but we are targeting $140k - $170k.
Our hiring process is 3 steps.
1. 30 minute initial screen
2. 1 hour interview
3. (Up to) 3 hour project + interview with our Product Manager
Remote Work Flexibility
Health insurance, dental, and vision coverage
Fun, fast paced environment
Training and development
Creating tremendous impact at scale
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.