Full Stack Engineer
FreeWorld is seeking an experienced, high-performing, get-stuff-done Full-Stack Developer to join our growing team. FreeWorld aims to have the most comprehensive, automated, end-to-end online reentry solution available and the Full-Stack Developer will work alongside our current engineering team to make it happen. This position will report to the Senior Full-Stack Developer under the direction of the CEO.
The perfect candidate works with urgency, is self-driven, and is excellent with creative problem-solving. This role will be responsible for helping to maintain existing systems, but will also be a key innovator as we strive to improve systems functionality and drive technological advancements. The right candidate always thinks, “how can I make it better?”.
Above all, you are passionate about our mission at FreeWorld and understand the outsized and life-changing impact that your work will have to support our participant’s success.
To end the era of mass incarceration and generational poverty by:
- Placing returning citizens into high-wage careers at scale.
- Developing a self-sustaining revenue model to accelerate our growth. Today, we are using income share agreements.
- Creating systemic change by leveraging our incredibly deep layers of graduate data in partnership with the Criminal Justice System to become the Gold Standard for re-entry.
What you’ll do:
- Backend software development in Node
- Frontend software development with React
- Perform code reviews
- Support in software architecture decisions
- Support in managing DevOps
- Support QA on all deployments
- Be an active innovator, contributor, and collaborator in our agile team environment
- Work alongside the leadership team and in-house engineering team
- Help build and maintain an analytics warehouse
- Design and build systems with automated instrumentation and monitoring
- Ensure systems are secure, and user information is protected
- Consistently improve maintainability and stability of the codebase
- Write clean and well-documented code that is built for performance and scalability
- Share knowledge and continuously improve team skills output
- Proactively identify technical alternatives and recommend appropriate continuous improvement opportunities to enhance performance, quality, and efficiency.
What you’ll have:
- Passion for our mission
- Advanced problem-solving skills
- 2+ years experience in Node
- 2+ years experience in React, or some equivalent (Vue, etc)
- Experience with Typescript
- Experience with unit testing, preferably Jest
- Experience building REST APIs
- Familiarity with Docker
- Familiarity with Git
- Portfolio of past responsive web development
- Understanding of how to translate business requirements into technology requirements
- Ability to size and scope technology requirements
- High-speed cable internet or better with a minimum download speed of 100Mbps and a minimum upload speed of 10Mbps
- (Preferred) Experience with using cloud service providers (we use DigitalOcean, but any experience here is fine)
- (Preferred) Experience working in an agile environment
- (Preferred) Experience with writing database queries (MySQL or Postgres)
- (Preferred) Formerly incarcerated candidates or candidates who have been impacted by the justice system are strongly preferred but not required
- (Preferred) Strong desire for creative innovation, designing innovative and responsive features and developing a product from an idea to a polished solution.
- (Bonus) UX/UI Design background is a plus
Requirements are not hard and fast rules - for example, if you have 5+ years of React experience but no Node experience, consider applying anyway
Where you’ll work
FreeWorld is a 100% remote company. You may live anywhere in the US and work from any location that is quiet and free from distractions.
Board of Directors
- Read our FreeWorld Culture FAQ if you still think you are a fit…
- Submit an application and cover letter. If your qualifications are a match…
- We have a 15-minute introductory call. If we love each other, then…
- You take an evening to consider everything you have read or heard and sleep on it. If in the morning, you are still super-excited then…
- You complete a task/short project related to the role you are applying for. Then, We select the top candidates (approximately 3-5 ) to move forward.
- You meet with 3-5 team members for a full interview. If selected…
- We meet for a follow-up interview to review your work history, discuss your career goals, and collect references.
- We reach out to a few of the individuals you worked with, and if all goes well, we present the offer!
Compensation and Benefits
The compensation for this position is based on experience, but we are targeting $95k - $105k.
FreeWorld believes if we take care of our team, our team can better care for our program participants. For an up-to-date list of employee benefits, view our 2022-2023 FreeWorld Benefits. A few key benefits are listed below:
- Remote work flexibility
- Team-centric culture
- Health insurance (medical, dental, vision, mental health)
- 401k Employee Contribution Plan
- Employee Success Plan (Flex benefit for wellness, professional development, and more)
- 12 paid holidays and Unlimited PTO (4 weeks paid vacation recommended)
- Creating tremendous impact at scale