Full Stack Engineer
FreeWorld is seeking a creative, self-driven, vision oriented Full-Stack Software Engineer to support in the development of FreeWorld’s technology solutions.
You will work alongside our current Senior Full Stack Engineer that built and maintains our existing technology. Once we have a foundation in place, you will support in identifying additional key hires to build out our technology team.
At the beginning you will report directly to FreeWorld’s CEO and in the future you will report to a Director of Engineering.
FreeWorld aims to create the most comprehensive, automated, end-to-end online reentry solution to ensure that returning citizens have a fighting chance to live a fulfilling life, prison free.
To end the era of mass incarceration and generational poverty by:
- Placing returning citizens into high wage careers at scale.
- Developing a self-sustaining revenue model to accelerate our growth. Today, we are using income share agreements.
- Creating systemic change by leveraging our incredibly deep layers of graduate data in partnership with the Criminal Justice System to become the Gold Standard for re-entry.
What you’ll do
- Backend software development in Node
- Frontend software development with React
- Perform code reviews
- Support in software architecture decisions
- Support in managing DevOps
- Be an active contributor and collaborator in our agile team environment
- Work alongside leadership team and growing in-house engineering team
- Help build and maintain an analytics warehouse
- Design and build systems with automated instrumentation and monitoring
- Ensure systems are secure, and user information is protected
- Consistently improve maintainability and stability of the codebase
- Write clean and well-documented code that is built for performance and scalability
- Share knowledge and continuously improve team skills output
- 2+ years experience in Node
- 2+ years experience in React, or some equivalent (Vue, etc)
- Experience with Typescript
- Experience with unit-testing, preferably Jest
- Experience building REST APIs
- Familiarity with Docker
- Familiarity with Git
- Portfolio of past responsive web development
- Translating business requirements into technology requirements
- Ability to size and scope technology requirements
- (Optional) Experience with using cloud service providers (we use DigitalOcean, but any experience here is fine)
- (Optional) Experience working in an agile environment
- (Optional) Experience with writing database queries (MySQL or Postgres)
- (Optional) Formerly incarcerated candidates are strongly preferred but not a requirement
- Requirements are not hard and fast rules - for example if you have 5+ years of React experience but no Node experience, consider applying anyway
Where you’ll work
FreeWorld is a 100% remote company.
- Positively contribute to team velocity in the scrum agile process
- Clean and well-tested code that leads to a reduction in bugs per release in scrum agile process
- Focus on efficiency. Think: Amazon-level leanness
- Hustle and grit
Board of Directors
Matt Mochary - Serial entrepreneur, VC, social entrepreneur, CEO coach
Jason Green - Founder - Emergence Capital, Endeavor, Kauffman Fellows
Andy Bromberg - Co-Founder and President - CoinList
Jason Wang - Founder/CEO - FreeWorld
The compensation for this position is based on experience, but we are targeting $75k - $105k.
Our hiring process is 3 steps.
1. 30 minute initial screen
2. 1 hour interview
3. (Up to) 3 hour project + interview with our Product Manager
Remote Work Flexibility
Health insurance, dental, and vision coverage
Fun, fast paced environment
Training and development
Creating tremendous impact at scale
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.